Fall 2020, Math 766, Real Analysis
- Course Coverage: This course is the second part of mathematical analysis for beginning graduate students at KU;
the first part is Math 765. We assume that students are already familiar with limits, continuity, differentiation and Riemann
integration. We will mainly use the book by Walter Rudin and cover the following chapter and sections:
Chapter 2 (basic topology), the last 5 sections of Chapter 4 (continuity), Chapter 7 (sequences and series of functions),
Chapter 8 (some special functions), and Chapter 9(functions of several variables). For these topics, one can refer to the book by
William R. Wade, An Introduction to Analysis. If time permits, we will cover Chapter 10 (Integration of differential forms).
Time: MW 12:30 ---1:45 PM
Location: Snow Hall 454
- Prerequisite: Math 290 and Math 500. Math 765 is preferred.
- Instructor: Shuanglin Shao
- Office: Snow Hall 615
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office Hour: M, W: 9:30-10:30 AM or by appointment.
- Homework: There will be 5 homework.
- Midterm: There will one midterm of 50 minutes in class.
- Final Exam: There is a comprehensive final exam in class. The time is 10:30 AM -- 1 PM on 05/15/2020.
- Grade Percentage: homework (40 %) + midterm (30 %) + final (30 %).
- HW 1. (Due on Feb. 12) Homework 1
- HW 2.(Due on March 4) Chapter 4 in Rudin's book. # 3,4,5,6,11,13,17,18,20,21,22,23,24
- HW 3.(Due on March 18) Chapter 7 in Rudin's book. #2,3,6,7,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,18,19,20.